Tuesday, September 11, 2012

She is so much better than me.

She is so much better better than me.
She is prettier, skinnier, smarter, happier, friendlier, more popular, funnier, more fun, and the list goes on.
 
She has it so easy. She has everything she needs, and all I have are too many expectations i'll never reach. She has everything I ever wanted. All I have is lost dreams, and lost friendships. She has reasons to hope, I only have reasons to give up.
 
She's the one who gets the glory, and I'm the one that cleans the celebration up. She has nothing to worry about, and I have everything to lose. 
 
She's the one who everyone looks up to, and I'm the one everyone overlooks.
 
 

Isn't it so easy to do that? To sit there and compare ourselves to everyone else? It's so easy to look at someone and in your own head magnify your faults. The biggest problem with this is you stop appreciating life itself.
 
This is 1/2 comparing and 1/2 about 9/11 post.
 
We sit there and wish we weren't ourselves. Today I was watching kung fu panda. In the movie he talks about how he wished he could be anyone but himself, because he didn't like who "he was". The first half of the movie he has to watch how much better the other characters are at kung fu, which then makes him forget that he was chosen to be the dragon warrior. He becomes down on himself. By the end of the movie he realizes that the secret to being great, was just to be himself.

Life can always get worse, and life is always worth living.
I have a friend named Leda from Sea Camp.
In her life she...
>Lost her parents (one murdered, and one taken away)
>Lost her grandparents
>Two best friends (Killed in a car crash, with her in the car)
>Was in the hospital for months, with mostly every bone broken in her body.
>Her social life was gone for a while.
>Became sober, and stayed away from drugs.
 
 
She went through so much in her life. She went through multiple deaths. Now this is a girl who is inspirational. When she told me she became sober and dropped all bad habits and attitudes from her life, it really put into perspective how much I complain and how weak I can be sometimes. She ended up becoming the top student at her school, and is looking forward to college scholarships for academics and soccer.
Now that is a woman who sees life the way it should be. She's the strongest person i've ever met.
 
Now, to relate this to 9/11. How much do you think people who were affected by 9/11 appreciate life? They miss who they lost, or what they lost, but they probably appreciate life so much more than we all do. They see how precious life is, and how fast it can go away. And here we are, complaining about how our lives aren't good enough
 
 
 
I heard a quote last week and it really stuck with me.
 
"If you were with a bunch of people, and you all threw all your problems in the middle of the circle, you'd probably pick yours back up after."
 
 
We should respect the victims of 9/11 because those are probably the strongest people left on Earth. I hope everyone looked at the flags today, and thought for those people even for a second. As we say the pledge, and talk about our freedom, remember that we also have life! We still have a future to look forward to. Don't compare yourself to others, don't say "He/She is so much better than me." You don't know that!! You don't know the battle they are fighting, and they don't know yours. Be grateful that you have a battle that is specifically designed for you.
 
Ignore the mountain dew part, but the rest of the message I think works :) 
 
 


4 comments:

  1. Nikki,
    This is a very awesome post. I'm enjoying reading your new blog! Hopefully the day will come where I can stop comparing myself to soooooooo many people. People I know and others I see throughout my days.

    Love,
    Auntie Lorelei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yes, not comparing is a very hard skill to master, but it is for sure one of the best skills to learn! I hope the post helped you in some way with that! :)

      Love,
      Nikki

      Delete
  2. You are sooo right. You never know what people are going through. I know I'm a heck of a lot worse than people think I am. Occasionally they'll say "I wish I could be more like you!" or "You're such a good example!" and I just plaster on a smile and pretend I actually am what they want me to be.
    I would never ever let anyone take the trials I have, even if I could trade for their "easier" ones. It's miserable, but no one else should have to go through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input! That is a side I didn't really touch on, but very true nonetheless! It's hard to live up to people's expectations of what they think you are, but it is diffidently rewarding when you live up to your own expectations! I agree. No one does really know what anyone else is going through, and I wish more people took that into consideration. :) Thanks again!

      Delete