Monday, August 13, 2012

School Shopping

I will let Adam Sandler introduce this blog post:




The Time Is Near.

Today started with my little sister distressed. She is five, and looked very stressed out as she stormed to talk to my Dad.

"Daddy, Why did everyone else get to go school shopping and not me!? DADDY it's not fair! Why can't I go school shopping?" *Enter Pouty Face* (This is where my Dad just kind of pretends he didn't hear her, i'm sure he knows she'll complain to my Mom next)

There you have it. The need to school shop. I remember those days, but I think as people get older, they seem to forget that feeling they had to school shop. It's no longer super exciting. Well it's not exciting until you have all the stuff...You suddenly have a plethora of pens, pencils, notebooks, and clothes!

YES!

CLOTHES!

And I have guy friends (Big poly guy friends) who will flat out admit that buying school clothes is an exciting experience for them. So for all those tough guys out there, it's okay to admit it. We are all excited to look good and show off a new style, am I right?

But most people forget the other half of those feelings. You slide your card, or hand over the cash, and suddenly all those items are yours and you are ready.
AND. THEN. IT. HITS.
You remember what you are ready for... School. The small hallways, the traffic jams, the endless homework, the boring classes, the drama, the early mornings, the practices, the assemblies, the hard classes your parents made you take, and many more just amazing things to look forward to.
The feeling comes in a rush, a flood if you will.

*Wasn't I just leaving school? Wasn't I just in class wishing for the bell to ring? Wasn't I just running to class to avoid being late? Wasn't I just in that school? Where did my summer go?*

Well I will tell you where your summer went. It went to sleep and the Internet. Now it's the last week, and I guarantee 99% of all your students out there are running around like maniacs trying to cram everything into one week. How do I know this? Because this is Me. This is my friends. This is my sisters. This is my brother. This is what instagram shows me. We are all trying to pretend that we had a super eventful summer just because of this final week.

But who cares? That's still 7 days to have a great summer. If you didn't have a great summer, heck go enjoy the last stretch of it! It's cool to have something to say about your Summer that first week of school, even if it did just happen this week. I'd say just watching Shark Week all week would be good enough for the end of anyone's summer!


OKAY BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING.


So you get to Target (or your choice of store), and you walk in feeling like a boss. I mean, come on! You are in high school. You are a cool kid. You can't afford to buy all those sticky notes, extra dictionaries, crayons, and colored pencils anymore! NO! You get to upgrade to, that's right, a couple of notebooks, some pens, and pencils.

I'm pretty sure every year of school you get less and less anxious to buy everything the store has to offer. If you think back to seventh grade, I guarantee you had folders, binders, loads of notebooks, pens, pencils, pencil holders, sharpeners, and colored pencils, all stuffed in a huge mountain climbing backpack.


Now I try to get away with using just what I have. I don't know how many of you are like that, but buying all that stuff is a hassle now. The only fun part, is having the stuff and leaving the store. But starting this school year, now that you are ready, you can say it.  

And say it with dignity.

"I AM a big kid now."

It's the feeling of maturity, and independence.
This is the feeling school shopping brings. The start of a new year. This is your year! So enjoy it! Don't get to down by those disappointed feelings of school, you are now three months older than the last time you were there! Now that is some serious maturing right there.








4 comments:

  1. love the Adam Sandler video, I just shared it on my fb. Cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Adam Sandler always makes me laugh for sure :) I'm glad you like it!

      Delete